Aching Dreams 3: The Dark Planet Aching Dreams 3: The Dark Planet

Okay strap yourself in, because this is gonna be a big one. I have played all the AD games, 1, 2, and now 3. I Liked 1 and it’s characters, 2 was a big leap forward but suffered in the writing department, and some artwork areas. 3 is leaps and bounds forward from the others, in that it is an actual game, instead of a visual novel. However 3 is not without it’s own problems, and as much as it pains me to say this, I do not believe that this game is currently worth the amount you are charging. Large parts of the game seem unfinished and many of the artwork problems from the previous games are still very much present; but I am getting ahead of myself here. I do enjoy the game and would like to list the positives before I get into the negative.
Pros:
The characters are well designed, each has their own unique look and personality. Speaking of Beatrice I love her redesign, she looks great so I was rather disappointed that I could not go after her. The combat system is fun and does a good job of keeping the tower defense interesting. The H scenes I have unlocked are good quality (Good ol’ Pinoy) and the game is definitely a challenge.
Cons:
The difficulty is too much, the combat becomes a slough very quickly and I found it very hard to keep going after a while as I began to dread playing each night because I knew it was going to be a grind. You said it yourself, this a hentai game, but right now it feels more like a rogue-like. The difficulty modifiers on the map mean absolute shit because I have had multiple occasions where the difficulty was at a -8 only to be attacked by 3 Kevlas and 6 Badbitts, or have 6 Louie eggs. Every enemy has shields with the exception of 2 which makes the combat all the more of a slough, and makes the checklist before each night ‘am I taking Olga or Elaine?’ to deal with all the enemy shields. Using their powers is also a crapshoot as you don’t really know how many waves you will have to face, so a wave counter would be nice. There aren’t enough enemies to keep combat super interesting and this also lends a problem to combat being too hard. Having 3 T-roosters or 4 kevlas on the field makes the game far too hard, and some more enemy variety might help to alleviate this, as well as cutting down the amount of enemies that have shields, and making difficulty numbers better reflect the actual difficulty (Make cutoffs so that certain monsters cannot spawn if the difficulty is lower than their value. Barricades while nice against smaller enemies don’t do shit to stop the bigger ones, and would be more useful with more HP and if the barricade is destroyed by an attack the damage doesn’t transfer to the crew-member behind the barricade. I would recommend each lane has it’s own designated color (instead of the grid being slate blue) or have some other way to differentiate which lane an enemy is on. The enemy designs themselves seem unpolished, as you have the zombie, and then quickly develop random fantasy and cutesy enemies as well, a more cohesive design amongst them would definitely make combat more visually appealing.
Art: There are some major inconsistencies with art and the quality of artwork present in the game. All the character’s portraits and sprites have the same problem as the previous AH games in that they have resolution problems are are rather pixelated (i’m assuming this was made in flash here) so I would recommend when you export them to flash (Or whatever program) That they are the correct size, making them vector images instead of bitmaps (Also one of Beatrice's conversation portraits still has white pixels from where you cut her out from the background). Some more effort in the random NPC portraits would have helped keep the visual style consistent and from the drawings that were made it came off as rushed and lazy (Such as Zoe’s Bf’s, Mike, or the random Female NPC from the first 2 missions of Larissa’s story). Item drops are damn near nonexistent and refresh at a painstakingly slow pace. And it is incredibly hard to increase your parties HP from low HP which leads to a death spiral of you can’t get enough HP and your party keeps getting incapped. The hospital is really the only place that you can seriously heal your units as even Veronica only heals 18-24 HP, and she is much better suited at front line because of her power so I never really used her for her primary purpose as I feel the trade-off wasn’t worth it.

I am not trying to shit on the game in all honesty, I am writing this because I want it to be better and I know it can be. If you keep improving upon it it can be a very good (Hentai) game. PM me if you'd like me to go even further in depth.
Also, fuck the haters you deserve money for creating good content.

TL;DR
+ Good Character personalities and design (Very important for H Games)
+ Step forward from previous AD games
+ Challenging
- Too challenging
- Felt unpolished in some areas
- Pixelation
- Enemy values seem arbitrary and difficulty values don’t mean anything
- Main character is a douche

hentaicook responds:

"combat being too hard. "
We've gotten this feedback before, and in response, there is an easier difficulty you can choose at start. It sounds like you missed it.

"The difficulty modifiers on the map mean absolute shit"
A -8 means your current amount of difficulty, -8. The game always gradually gets harder. If you think 4 louies are bad, put it to +8 instead and you'll probably have even more.

"Having 3 T-roosters or 4 kevlas on the field makes the game far too hard"
This is kind've a noob comment (sorry), because these enemy types are countered *hard* by a few abilities, like Sticky Blast, Frosting Blast, Shotgun, and high damage, like Kill order. If you're doing decently on Original Difficulty, you'll find that they're roughly equally difficult to a mass wave of smaller enemies.

"Using Elaine and Olga's powers is also a crapshoot as you don’t really know how many waves you will have to face"
But you do have an idea. There's always just three waves. You can always wait until the second wave spawns to use it... but would you? As you said, a whole slew of enemies may spawn next turn. It's a calculated decision and it is high risk, high reward; it's not really a crapshoot.

" you don’t really know how many waves you will have to face, so a wave counter would be nice"
Lemme add that you don't even know which enemies you'll face, let alone wave # or enemy amount. I knew that I wasn't going to be able to design a bunch of enemies, so the variety is kept intentionally low. Yet despite that, the enemy types are handled very differently from one another. The lesson here is: Bring a little bit of everything. Have a good assortment of weapons and powers for any situation.

"And it is incredibly hard to increase your parties HP from low HP which leads to a death spiral of you can’t get enough HP"
Intentional. Deal with it.

" as you have the zombie, and then quickly develop random fantasy and cutesy enemies as well, a more cohesive design amongst them would definitely make combat more visually appealing."
You got me there. I'm not a very good at drawing scary monsters. It does seem cohesively cutesy tho, lol.

Lemme add some stuff to your ending comment.
+ Good Character personalities and design (Very important for H Games)
+ Step forward from previous AD games
+ Challenging
- Too challenging
(^ there is easier mode)
- Felt unpolished in some areas
- Pixelation
- Enemy values seem arbitrary and difficulty values don’t mean anything
(^ the enemy values are absolute; the amounts spawned are not. Difficulty values mean *a lot* but admittedly this point is not well communicated to new players)
- Main character is a douche
(^ should be -/+, I mean it is subjective, and even if he was a douche, is that actually a bad thing or does it open your eyes to what kind of game you're playing)

It's Uber!Pong! It's Uber!Pong!

Evil Fucking Intro

Had my headphone volume way up, you suck. Also another pong game, how original, you could've at least put in a background, however the game was pretty well made. Just could've used some more time, detail, and a restart button

AdamYoung27 responds:

I had a restart button in the FLA file, but after I published the game, the button stopped working, so I took it out.

The Long Grass The Long Grass

HOLY SHIT I WON!

By guess what, NOT RUNNING INTO THE FUCKING LONG GRASS! You should collab with another artist and make this a game, it would be awesome. Loved the ending btw.

Snake TK Snake TK

Good Quality but unoriginal

This is very good for a first flash, you have good talent here, you made a menu, and different pages, and was able to put in music. This flash will probably be blammed, but you shouldn't let it discourage you, keep it up!

TheKiller2010 responds:

Alone this is a minigame, is because of it that so simple realize, I am employed at another game with "LevaBoy", this game is great a complex mas and already almost this finished.

Walls Snake Walls Snake

Good, but sorry

This is a really good game that has alot of time and effort, however its too unoriginal. I blammed it. I like it, runs smooth and everything, but sorry.